02 September 2013

Wright State G Abby Jump

Describe Your Relationship with Christ

I've always been involved in the church since I was young. My parents never forced me to believe in God, I was only taught how great he was from a young age. I never fully understood until I was in second grade, I had my first experience with the Lord and just how great he really is. My mom had a double stroke when I was only 8 years old. Forcing her to be hospitalized while the doctors figured out a plan. They gave her a 10% chance of ever walking, talking, or doing anything on her own again. For 4 months I was without my mom in my daily routine. My mom is very strong in her Faith and that's something I always have admired about her since I was young. Even though at the time she couldn't say it, I knew she would never give up. As a family we continually prayed for God to give her the strength to get back on her feet.

One day while sitting in the hospital with my mom, a young man walked into the room. Dressed in faded blue jeans and a plain black t-shirt. He had medium-length dirty blonde hair and his eyes were dark brown. He smiled at me as he walked in the room but never said a single word. The man laid a small card on the night stand next to my mom's hospital bed, then turned and walked out. I never saw him again, but I could never forget his face, what he was wearing, or his smile. On the front of the card read a single verse, "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength". That was so powerful to me, and especially my mom. When she woke, I told her about the man and read the verse on the card. We continued to read it over and over again to her. My mom believed it thats for sure, because within 2 1/2 weeks after the strange man wondered into her room, she was walking, talking, and finally home! To this day, I believe that man was an angel. I knew my God was amazing at that point.

When I was born my dad was a high school boys varsity basketball coach, so I practically grew up in the gym. Most little girls collected barbie dolls, I collected jerseys. I grew to love the game more and anything. While my mom was in the hospital I resorted to basketball, and devoted myself to the game. I was only 8 years old but I was working on my game constantly. The gym quickly became my sanctuary. When I was 10 years old, my mom asked me what I wanted to be when I "grew up". I knew in my heart exactly what I wanted to do. She had me write it down on a piece of paper that I still have today, "I'm going to play division 1 college basketball". She told me to hold on to this, stick to it, and with my Faith in God, I can achieve it, no matter who has doubts.

This is when I had my second encounter with my Savior. I come from a town where sports is everything. The gym is packed on Monday nights and the football field is always crowded. However, very few athletes play at a higher level than NAIA or Division III. Since I was in the 6th grade I had numerous coaches tell me I would never make it, I was never going to be good enough, or I was too little to play at such a high level. When I got to high school I was at the top of my game, I started varsity as a freshman, and I played AAU for a top program in Kentucky, which allowed me to get a lot of exposure from colleges. My sophomore year I was 5'4 and barely weighed 100 pounds soaked & wet. I started receiving division 1 offers which meant I started receiving more harsh words and mean comments. My car was keyed several times. I never wanted this to happen, I was just following my dream. Even with all the things said and done, I remained true to my word and God. I decided to commit to Morehead State University, but when the coach left and went to Wright State University, I followed him there. All through high school I was strong in my faith and I always made point to thank God for all the continual blessings He's given me. But I wanted to grown closer with the Lord. More than anything I wanted to know "why me?", why was I given these gifts? I'm just a little 5'6 blonde headed girl that can play basketball. More importantly I wanted to know what my PURPOSE was in life. The week before I left for college I made the biggest decision of my life and was baptized. 

A week later I was at Wright State living my dream and doing what I always knew I would. It was a tough first week. Trying to get use to the transition and classes, I just needed a break, for a few seconds to relax and get back on track. As I walked into my team lounge I saw a man reading his bible. He introduced himself and we talked for awhile about both of ourselves. Before I left I thanked him for talking with me, and he smiled and said "you will know when you feel at peace". I thought what in the world does that mean? My freshman year I decided on being an art major but I never really knew what I wanted to do after basketball. I wasn't completely happy with my major but I just couldn't decide. Towards the end of my freshman year I was approached and asked if I wanted to workout and mentor an upcoming 7th grade girl who is going to be a huge basketball prospect. I gave it a try and after the third workout with her I went home and cried. I wasn't even sure why I was crying, until I remembered what that man told me at Wright State. I never felt more at peace with myself, I knew what I was suppose to do after basketball and more importantly, I knew my purpose. I trusted the Lord completely to give my life purpose, and guess what? I found peace. I discovered the significance, satisfaction, and security that I had been searching for since high school. 

Now a year later, I'm heading into my junior year of college. As a leader on the Wright State women's basketball team, I am exactly where I am suppose to be on and off the court. I am not leaning on my own understanding but trusting the Lord with everything I have. I play division 1 college basketball, I'm working on my coaching career and getting my name out there, I received an internship with Athletes in Action, and I'm loving life and how amazing God truly is. I know now my mission is to use this basketball platform i've been blessed with to help athletes grow on the court but also with the Lord!

How Important Has God Been to Your Success As An Athlete?

- My success would be nothing without God. I realize I would not have been able to do the things I have done on the court without God.  Just in the basketball sense He has opened so many doors for me since I was in high school and I realize they are all gifts. The best thing about my relationship with God is that I can put aside anything stressful or negative that comes with basketball because I am second. I play for Him and his glory. I play for an audience of one and that is all that matters! To give your best and remain who you are in Christ is the mark of a successful total athlete.



Do You Have Any Favorite Bible Verses?

Philippians 4:13
- Although that tends to be a lot of athletes favorite verse, it really hits home for me. I’m faced with many obstacles and tribulations on and off the court and it always helps to be reassured that “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. 

 Genesis 50:20 
“But as for you, ye thought evil against me; but God meant it unto good…”
- It is always important to remember that there is a blessing in every situation and God can turn around anything and make it good through Faith.


What Are Your Ambitions For the Future?

- I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to do after college basketball but I realized when I stopped looking for my purpose my purpose came looking for me. That is when I realized God gave me this basketball platform for a reason. I want to go right into coaching basketball at a collegiate level. I realize it is going to take several years to get in the position I want to be but I know this is my calling. I didn’t lean on my own understanding and trusted the Lord with everything I have and I now know I am exactly where I am suppose to be. Ultimately I’ve been blessed with these gifts and now it is my turn to bless other college athletes and help them not only grow on the court but with the Lord as well.




2MeN