30 August 2013

Toronto Blue Jays MiLB LHP Matt Boyd

Describe Your Relationship with Christ.


I have had a relationship with the Lord since a young age. I was very blessed to grow up with believers all around me. Everyone in my family has a deep faith and this has been very helpful in my upbringing with the Lord. A key moment in my walk with the Lord came when I took a baseball mission trip to the Dominican Republic. I was 15 years old and had just finished my freshman year in high school. This trip opened my eyes and made me feel grateful for all I had. We would spend the days bringing groceries to the families in the local villages and playing doubleheaders against the local team. Between games a few members on our team would share our testimony and then we would all pass out Bibles to those who wanted them. This was the first time I had to share my story about my relationship with God. During this trip, God opened my eyes to see people be grateful for what little they had. They were so thirsty for God’s word it was remarkable and inspiring. To have run out of Bibles time after time in between games was just a testament of God’s word working in people. That trip changed my life. There have been many other moments that have brought me closer to God as well. Through my walk I have found that surrounding myself with other believers makes life so much better and helps you walk in the light.  On my team at Oregon State there were many believers and this made playing the game easier. There was always someone to talk to and having guys behind me that were also playing for God helped me on my journey. During my senior year at Oregon State I also met a girl that changed my life. From the moment I met her I felt God’s presence in her. She is a woman of God. She is also my best friend and has helped me deepen my faith. I am so grateful for the path God has put me on. 

How Important Has God Been to Your Success As An Athlete?


It's been everything. Knowing that I am playing for the Lord and my purpose is to glorify Him makes everything easier when you take the field of competition. When you walk with the Lord it puts things in perspective. My purpose on this earth is to live for Him. If I can do that through baseball, I feel indestructible. When I'm out on the mound I feel that I am untouchable with Him.


Do You Have Any Favorite Bible Verses? 

Psalm 18:12 (NIV) 
"The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
       
Matthew 10:34 (NIV) 
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Philippians 4:13 (NIV)
"I can do all this through him who gives me strength."


What’s Your Opinion on God Using Ordinary People to Impact His Kingdom?


I believe we are all ordinary people. It is our duty to go out and be beacons of His word and walk in the light. That is our purpose on this earth and I believe that the power of the Lord is great and through Him we can accomplish anything.


What Are Your Ambitions For the Future?

I want to live a life that glorifies God in the highest. I would love to have a family and play baseball at its highest level while playing for God. This would be a dream come true.



2MeN