28 October 2013

Ole Miss LHP Scott Ashford

Describe Your Relationship with Christ.

My testimony...i guess begin at the start. I went to catholic middle school and high school and had religion classes every year. It was nothing more than a religion class to me though, it never truly hit home. Then when I got to my first Junior College there was a strong support and community and I began to read the bible and find verses that really applied to my life. There was this new found sense of something greater out there, this new burning desire in my life. I began to go to church regularly, which I had never done. I wanted to become a man of God and truly be able to live up to that title. It was my second year in Junior College I was truly tested. I was cut from the team, and that is when my world began to fall apart. I did not know what I was going to do or if I would ever play baseball again. It was right after I got cut I found my favorite bible verse, Ezra 10:4- Rise up for this matter is in your hands, so be of good courage and do it, for we will support you. I then saw that God would always be with me and that he had reasoning for everything. I kept faith that he had perfect timing and there was a reason for everything. In that same year I went to play for another Junior College in Mississippi. I then found the organization I Am Second, and truly began to buy into their philosophy of  God's plan, not mine. So I prayed that I would live his plan and focus on becoming not just a better baseball player, but also a better Christian. Then something truly amazing happened, I began to be recruited by some 4 year colleges. This I would have never thought to happen just months earlier when I was being cut. I just prayed to God to please let me find the school where I can continue to grow in faith and become a better person.  I then committed to the University of Mississippi to play baseball that spring. Upon getting here it was one of the best things I could do for my faith life. So many of the guys on the team are so in touch with their faith and are always willing to help me spiritually. One of our relief pitchers brought the great point to me that we are here to compete our hearts out for God, and to get on the stage not for personal glory but to give all of the glory to God. God loves us no matter what we do, I feel the least I can do is give my everything every time I step out on the field and use the talent that he has blessed me with, and give him all the praise and make his word known so that hopefully I can turn people's eyes to him and his glory. 

How Important Has God Been to Your Success As An Athlete?

- God has been a huge part of my success as an athlete. I know they were many times when there were few people who believed in me and what I was capable of, but I knew he had a plan for my life that was greater then I could ever fathom, whether it be with baseball or not. In reading the bible I have read that God encourages us to cast our worries and anxieties on him because he will take them away. I have faith that every day whether I fail or succeed it is in God's will and plan for my life. I strive everyday to get better for him so that I can make sure to make the most of the talent and ability he blessed me with. 


Do You Have Any Favorite Bible Verses?

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know well the plans I have in mind for you says the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for woe. Plans to give you a future full of hope. "

Ezra 10:4
"Rise up for this matter is in your hands, so be of good courage and do it, for we will support you. "

Romans 5:3-5 
"And not only that, but we also rejoice in our afflictions, because we know that affliction produces endurance, endurance produces proven character, and proven character produces hope. This hope does not disappoint because God's love has been poured out in our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us."

Colossians 3:23 
"Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord & not for men." 

Matthew 16:26 
"And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?"


What Are Your Thoughts on God Using Ordinary People?

- I feel that God uses ordinary people each and every day to impact earth to show that it can be done by all. He chose ordinary people so that people can see that they can turn their life around because they are seeing someone else do it, and this person isn't some highly powerful person. I believe he also chooses ordinary people to show that it matters nothing of worldly possessions but of how you are as a Christian and how you serve others. Ordinary people are one of God's strongest tools to communicate his message throughout the world daily.


What Are Your Ambitions For the Future?

- My ambitions for the future are to play baseball as long as I can. I hope to be able to use this as a way to spread God's word for a long time. I also plan on becoming a physical therapist and my dream job is to become one of the physical therapist at St. Jude's Children Hospital in Memphis, TN.




2MeN