30 September 2013

UNC Tennis Caroline Price



Describe Your Relationship with Christ.

I grew up in a Christian family. I was blessed to have father who was a successful Christian athlete as my role model. I went to church, studied the Bible, went to a Christian high school, and even had a Christian tennis coach but Christ was not a priority in my life until the end of my freshman year at UNC. I knew what it meant to be a Christian in my head but it was not in my heart and I had not fully surrendered my life up until that point. I had everything the world said would make me happy. I had a loving family, supportive friends and boyfriend, success in my sport, and had received a full scholarship to my dream school but I still was not happy and felt an emptiness inside like there must be something more. As an athlete, I believed that in order to get something you had to work for it and be good enough.  I knew I was missing God in my life so I began to try to earn my way to God and kept falling short. There were certain things in my life that I wanted to change but I couldn't on my own. I began to attend the Summit Church near school and God began to open my eyes to His unconditional love and grace for me. During this time God always loved me and was there for me through my ups and downs. I had always been trying to fill the void with everything and anything but Him, and He still waited for me. My pastor, J.D. Greear, puts it in these words "We are changed not by being told what we need to do for God, but by hearing the news about what God has done for us". For the first time in my life, this became real to me. I understood that God's grace in sending His Son to die on the cross for me is a free gift that I can never earn. I am still a work in progress but as I grow closer to Him I began to see things through his eyes and my desires are changing.

How Important Has God Been to Your Success As An Athlete?

- This year I had more injuries than I have ever had before yet I had more success on the tennis court. I had a break out fall season and made it to the round of 16 in singles at the ITA All-American tournament. I had an overall record of 24-3 in the spring and proved to be one of most consistent points in the country. I won 19 consecutive matches to open the dual season and helped my team win the ITA Indoor National Championship. My team was ranked number 1 in the nation for most of the season and won the Atlantic Coast Conference regular season title. My team made it to the elite eight of the NCAA team competition and I ended the season making it to the round of 16 in singles at the NCAA tournament. I was named to the ITA National Indoor All-Tournament Team, All-ACC, and became an All-American. This had always been a dream of mine. This was such a "God thing" because it would seem that I was not healthy enough to accomplish any of this but He gave me the strength. I write "HONOR" on my right wrist while I am playing to remind me to honor God on the court in everything I do.


Do You Have Any Favorite Bible Verses?

1 Corinthians 15:10
"But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them -- yet no I, but the grace of God that was with me."

Ephesians 2:8-9
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast."

Romans 8:31
"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?"

Deuteronomy 31:6 
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Isaiah 40:31
"But those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint."


What Are Your Ambitions For the Future?
 - My ultimate goal in life is to grow closer to the Lord everyday. I would love to continue playing tennis if that is how God wants to use me. I am praying to see where God leads me next. In school I am working towards a major in Communications with Speech Pathology and Coaching minors. In my heart I feel that God is leading me to mentor younger girls whether in tennis or something else.





2MeN